As the leaves change color and the air turns crisp, it’s time to start thinking about your fall home maintenance checklist. One critical area that often goes overlooked is your plumbing system. Cold weather brings an array of plumbing nightmares that you need to be prepared for. You are in luck because we have prepared a guide with essential advice on how you can avoid common fall plumbing nightmares and prepare for the upcoming long winter months.
1. Insulate Exposed Pipes
Frozen pipes are one of the most common plumbing issues during the fall and winter. When water freezes inside your plumbing, it expands, potentially leading to burst pipes and costly water damage. To prevent this, insulating exposed pipes is crucial, especially those in unheated areas like the basement, attic, and crawl spaces. Pipe insulation can be found at most hardware stores and is an affordable way to protect your pipes from the cold.
2. Seal Any Gaps
Sealing gaps and cracks in your home’s foundation, walls, and windows is not only an energy-efficient practice but also a way to prevent cold air from infiltrating your living spaces. When your home is well-sealed, your plumbing system is less likely to experience temperature drops that can lead to frozen pipes. This will also save you money on your energy bills.
3. Disconnect and Drain Outdoor Hoses
Leaving hoses connected to outdoor faucets can lead to water freezing in the hose and back into the faucet. This can result in cracked pipes and leaks. Before the first freeze, make sure to disconnect your hoses and drain any remaining water.
4. Check Your Water Heater
The fall season is perfect for inspecting and maintaining your water heater. Over time, sediment and debris can build up at the bottom of the tank, reducing its efficiency and lifespan. You can flush the tank to remove this sediment and improve the heater’s performance. If you’re unsure how to do this, it’s best to consult a professional plumber, like the ones we have at Arco Plumbing!
5. Test Your Sump Pump
Heavy fall rains can lead to flooding, so it’s essential to ensure your sump pump is in good working condition. Test your sump pump by pouring water into the pit and ensuring it activates properly. If you notice any issues, contact Arco Plumbing to address them before the heavy rain season begins.
6. Inspect the Sewer System
Fall can be a challenging season for your sewer system due to the increased load from falling leaves and heavy rain. To prevent clogs and backups, have your sewer system inspected by a professional plumber. They can identify potential issues and recommend any necessary maintenance or repairs.
7. Maintain Drains and Gutters
Clogged drains and gutters can lead to water damage, both outside and inside your home. To avoid this, clean your gutters regularly and use drain strainers to catch debris before it enters your plumbing system. A small investment in these preventative measures can save you from expensive plumbing repairs.
8. Keep an Eye on Your Water Pressure
Fall and winter are notorious for water pressure problems. When the demand for water increases due to colder weather, the city’s water supply can drop, leading to lower water pressure in your home. Low water pressure can be frustrating, so consider installing a pressure-reducing valve to keep your water pressure steady.
9. Address Leaky Faucets and Toilets
Leaky faucets and toilets are not only annoying but can also waste a significant amount of water. In the fall, when water may be more scarce in some regions, it’s crucial to address these issues promptly. Most leaks are easily fixable, either with a simple DIY solution or by calling a professional plumber.
10. Plan for Emergency Shut-Off
Sometimes, despite all your precautions, a plumbing emergency can still occur. It’s essential to know how to shut off the water supply to your home in case of a sudden issue like a burst pipe. Locate the main water shut-off valve in your home and make sure everyone in your household knows how to use it. Quick action in an emergency can save you from severe water damage.
11. Prepare for Extended Absences
If you plan to be away from your home during the fall or winter, especially if you’re a snowbird escaping to warmer climates, it’s crucial to avoid plumbing problems. Consider turning off the water supply to your home, draining the pipes, and shutting off your water heater. This will help prevent frozen pipes and other issues that can go unnoticed in an unoccupied home.
Who To Call When You Have a Plumbing Emergency During The Fall and Winter?
When it comes to facing plumbing emergencies during the fall and winter months, Arco Plumbing stands out as the company to call. Here’s why you can rely on Arco Plumbing to be your trusted partner in times of crisis:
- 24/7 Availability: Unfortunately, plumbing problems don’t wait for a convenient time to occur. Arco Plumbing understands that emergencies can happen at any hour of the day or night. That’s why we provide round-the-clock, 24/7 emergency service. You can count on us to be there when you need us most, even during the harshest winter nights.
- Expertise You Can Trust: Our team of licensed and experienced plumbers possesses a deep understanding of all things plumbing. With years of hands-on experience, they have encountered and successfully resolved various plumbing issues, including those specific to the fall and winter seasons.
- 3. Local Knowledge: Arco Plumbing has been serving the Chicagoland area for over 30 years. We know the unique plumbing challenges that can arise during the fall and winter. Our local knowledge allows us to provide tailored solutions that are perfectly suited to your region’s climate and specific plumbing needs.
- Prompt Response: We take every plumbing emergency seriously. When you call Arco Plumbing, you can expect a rapid response. Our commitment to arriving on-site quickly means we can help mitigate the extent of damage and minimize your inconvenience.
Prepare Yourself Against Fall Nightmares with Arco Plumbing
Do you live in the Chicagoland area and want to avoid plumbing disasters this fall and winter? Then, it’s time to call Arco Plumbing. Our leading plumbing services are nothing short of exceptional, and our team of specialists is trained and knowledgeable to handle any problem that arises. So, if you want to avoid spending thousands on replacing your entire plumbing system, be prepared for the upcoming colder days with Arco Plumbing. Schedule an appointment with us today!
Last Updated on October 17, 2023 by Arco Plumbing Services